June 30, 2016 - Charlotte Douglas International Airport set a new local passenger record on June 13 when 30,668 passengers originated their flight at CLT. The previous record was 29,977 on March 24, the start of spring break. Before that, the day after the Democratic National Convention ended in Charlotte - September 7, 2012 – held the originating passenger record of 29,539 travelers for 3.5 years. Originating passengers are travelers who began their trip at CLT, utilize parking and security checkpoints.
That's in addition to the more than 100,000 fliers who connect through Charlotte Douglas daily.
CLT's Originating Passenger Record
|Friday, September 7, 2012||29,539|
|Thursday, March 24, 2016||29,977|
|Monday, June 13, 2016||30,668|
CLT anticipates this busy summer travel season to continue as the Fourth of July holiday weekend approaches. Crowds are expected to be heavy. Passengers are advised to be prepared and plan ahead.
Improvements to Parking
Travelers should note the Airport has recently made changes to its parking operation. CLT has merged Cell Phone Lots 1 and 2 into a single Cell Phone Lot, located off Old Dowd Road next to the Long Term Lot 1. Drivers on the new entrance road should exit to their right to enter the lot containing 110 parking spaces. Banners and roadway signage are in place to denote the new location. It is CLT's only Cell Phone Lot.
Cell Phone Lots 1 and 2, located off Rental Car Road, closed permanently in mid-June to make room for construction of the new elevated roadway and Concourse A expansion.
Drivers using the new Cell Phone Lot will use the Airport's new roundabout off Rental Car Road to access the terminal.
Long Term Lot Improvements
The Airport also has merged Long Term Lot 3 with Long Term Lot 2 and relocated the entry and exit plazas with the installation of new toll plaza canopies and cashier facilities. The merged lot contains 200 additional spaces.
Entry and exit plazas have been relocated in Long Term Lot 1, as well, to create an improved traffic flow for drivers.
Checkpoint Assistance Agents
Checkpoint assistance agents have been located at the entrance of each checkpoint to help passengers prepare for the screening process. Agents check boarding passes at the beginning of the checkpoint lines and carry-on bags to ensure they meet airline guidelines.
- TSA recommends passengers arrive at the Airport at least two hours before domestic flights and three hours before international flights.
- Peak travel days at the Airport are traditionally Monday mornings, all day Thursday and Sunday evenings.
- Parking will be in high demand. Economy parking will be the first to fill, followed by Daily. It's important to check out CLT's real time parking map at cltairport.com for up to the minute parking information.
- Drivers who are picking up and dropping off passengers are encouraged to use the Hourly Deck to ease congestion on the curbside. The first hour is free.
- Stay informed. Be sure to follow CLT Airport on Twitter (@ CLTAirport) for the latest summer parking and travel tips. Also, visit cltairport.com for the latest news.
Passengers are advised to:
- Plan your drop off and pick up.
- Arrive early and follow airline and TSA guidelines when packing. Visit cltairport.com for tips.
- Get dropped off at the Airport, carpool, ride CATS' Airport Sprinter or Connector or use one of the many taxi and ground transportation companies serving the Airport.
- Take advantage of the Hourly Deck when getting dropped off or picked up. The first hour is free.
- Check parking conditions before leaving for Charlotte Douglas by viewing the real time parking map or calling 704.359.5555.
- Be alert, slow down, obey the speed limit and drive more cautiously while adjusting to CLT's new entrance road.
- Follow the directions on the variable message signs that have been strategically placed along roadways to help drivers navigate the change.
- To save time before leaving for CLT, follow the Airport's SmartPark tips:
- When you visit Charlotte Douglas International Airport, remember to Think It. Plan It. Park It. with SmartPark.
- Use CLT's FREE Cell Phone Lot located on Old Dowd Road.
- Visit Business Valet where parking will always be available.
- Long Term Economy Parking is expected to go fast at CLT Airport this summer. Plan ahead with cltairport.com.
- Remember that only immediate loading and unloading are permitted on the curbside. Do not leave your vehicle unattended on Departures/Ticketing or Arrivals/Baggage Claim levels. If your vehicle is left unattended, it will be ticketed and towed.
- Take advantage of the Airport's Pay&Go stations. Four Pay&Go stations are located in the Hourly Deck and at the Daily deck's shuttle bus stop and two more are located near the shuttle bus stops in front of the Arrivals/Baggage Claim level. To use, travelers place their parking ticket in a Pay&Go station and pay by credit card. A validated ticket will be returned. Drivers may then proceed to any lane in the designated lots and insert their validated ticket in the machine to exit.
- Use the credit card only or prepaid lanes to save time exiting the Airport's parking lots. Credit card only lanes are available in all lots. To learn more about how SmartPark Express works, watch thisvideo.
- Visit cltairport.com for current parking rates or call CDIAL, the Airport's automated phone information at 704.359.4910. To get up-to-date flight information, call 704.359.DATA (3282).