The Airport’s upper-level roadway has partially reopened after temporarily closing on Sept. 27 for canopy construction. Work on the initial phase of the project is complete. Contractors will continue working at night for the next 18 months, which will require the upper-level roadway to close nightly and open during the day for passenger drop off and pick up. Closure times will vary.
Customers should continue to arrive early. Periodic delays may occur on the roadways.
Also, please note:
- Airline curbside ticket counters/check-in will reopen on Wednesday, Oct. 12. Until then, check-in at the airlines’ ticket counters in the lobby.
- Special Assistance Zones have returned to their normal location on the upper-level roadway in front of the center door.
- Door 2, the center door, and Door 5 have reopened for entry and exit on the upper level (Departures/Ticketing).
- The smoking area is located on the east end of Departures/Ticketing.
- CLT’s Cell Phone Lot on Josh Birmingham Parkway will reopen on Wednesday, Oct. 12. Currently, it’s temporarily located in the Daily North Lot.
- Express Deck shuttle bus pick up and drop off remains on the Arrivals/Baggage Claim level, in the bus lane Zone 2.
- Curbside Valet check-in is now on the first level of the Hourly Deck. There are signs directing customers to the new location. A temporary check-in counter is located inside the west subterranean walkway to assist with check-in/checkout operations.
The start of the 146,000-square foot canopy installation is a milestone in Terminal Lobby Expansion (TLE) construction. The two-year project consists of replacing the current blue canopy system with the permanent canopy system over the Departures/Ticketing roadway.
The $608 million signature Terminal Lobby Expansion project is transforming the Airport’s entrance with 366,000 square feet of new and renovated space. The entire lobby expansion will wrap up in 2025 as part of Destination CLT, a 3.1 billion capital investment in capacity enhancement projects.