The Airport’s upper-level roadway is closed through 4 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 12 for roadway canopy construction for the Terminal Lobby Expansion (TLE). Be sure to allow extra time for drop off and pick up and be prepared for busy roadways. Safety fencing and signage will direct passengers to the lower level for arrivals and departures. The Airport also will have additional employees on the curbside to assist customers for the first week.
The start of the 146,000-square foot canopy installation project is a milestone in TLE construction. The two-year project will consist of removing the current blue canopy system and replacing it with the permanent canopy system over the Departures/Ticketing roadway.
Click on the map to enlarge
During this two-week period, the following changes will occur:
- All traffic will be directed to the lower level (Arrivals/Baggage Claim) for drop off and pick up.
- All airline curbside ticket counters/check-in will close. Passengers will need to check-in at the airlines’ ticket counters in the lobby.
- Door 2 and the Center Door on the upper level (Departures/Ticketing) will remain open for an emergency exit only.
- Door 5 on Departures/Ticketing will remain open for an emergency exit and access to the Departures/Ticketing smoking area. The smoking area will relocate to the east end of Departures/Ticketing.
- Daily North Lot will become a temporary Cell Phone Lot to help alleviate traffic congestion. The current Cell Phone Lot will close.\The Express Deck shuttle bus will pick up and drop off on the Arrivals/Baggage Claim level, in the Zone 2 bus lane.
- Curbside Valet check-in has been relocated to the first level of the Hourly Deck. There are signs directing customers to the new location. A temporary check-in counter is located inside the west subterranean walkway to assist with check-in/checkout operations.
- Special Assistance Zones are in Zone 2 of the public vehicle lanes and include an attendant, additional seating and special assistance signage.
- Meanwhile, steel erection continues on the Terminal Lobby Expansion’s east side. Completion of this phase is scheduled for the end of 2023. Renovations of the existing Departures/Ticketing and Arrivals/Baggage Claim areas began last month.
- The $608-million signature Terminal Lobby Expansion is transforming the Airport’s entrance with 366,000 square feet of new and renovated space.
- The entire lobby expansion will wrap up in 2025 with new, modern ticket counters, eight original artworks, charging stations, three large security checkpoints and five pre-security concession spaces.